Hey all! I have been completely MIA lately, but this post will make it up. I promise.
Right now I have discovered a “healthier” chocolate glazed donut recipe! I just made them as a surprise for my husband who loves chocolate glazed donuts. To start out, I do not believe in diets or completely cutting out sweets- one just needs to indulge in moderation. Therefore, I take it as a personal (and almost fun challenge) to recreate our favorite unhealthy treats and make them guilt free!
My first project: chocolate glazed donuts. These donuts use minimal sugar and some of the ingredients can be substituted for even healthier options, for those of you who are super ambitious.
I found these donuts to be super delicious (although I personally think they taste better/more chocolately when you sprinkle them with chocolate chips). They are “airy” and moist, and they’ll pair perfectly with some milk or coffee!
Now to business.
What you’ll need for the donut batter:
1 Cup Flour (For even healthier, use wheat)
1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (I used Hershey’s)
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 Cup Sour Cream (For even healthier, use Greek Yogurt)
1/4 Cup Milk
2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil (melted)
Nestle Milk Chocolate Morsels for sprinkling! (Optional)
For the Glaze:
3/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp. Milk
To Prepare the Batter:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease your donut pan. I personally used PAM Coconut Oil.
2. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. Stir well and set aside.
3. In a separate, smaller mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut butter, egg, milk, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix well and combine to flour mixture. Stir just to mix. The batter will be VERY thick/sticky/ hard to control.
4. Put the mixture in a Ziplock Bag and cut a slit to pipe the batter into the prepared pan. Fill about 2/3.
5. Sprinkle as many chocolate chips as you want over the donuts before you bake.
6. Place into the oven and bake for 7-10 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.
To Prepare the Glaze:
1. Mix all ingredients. Feel free to add more sugar or milk, depending on what consistency you prefer.
2. Wait until the donuts are completely cooled and dip them into the glaze.